A Place of Worship for More than 1000 Years

The first church in Slangerup was a small wooden church, a stave church, as we know them from Norway today. It was situated in close proximity to stream Brobækken - now called Græse stream behind the where the post office was located until around 2010, and where Slangir from one point in the 980's had been the owner of the commercial space with rental of tents, trading stalls and so on. The first permanent houses in Slangerup was just here at the trading center. The connection to the Archangel Michael may well have its roots in the first wooden church. Michael is traditionally in Europe linked partly to power, and partly to travelers, and here dominated Slangir as local chieftain and center of power just a great trading center with many travelers from near and far. Already from 1000 both written and archaeological provide evidence of royal estate of a significant size on site.

The first church on the hill near the current Kirketorvet (Church Square) was built very early in the 1100s and later expanded three times. In 1588 one could inargurate the church we see today. The enormous construction was mainly financed by the rich merchants in Slangerup. It was a showpiece of international standing. Worth noting is perhaps that it is the only major construction in Denmark at that time! - The merchants wanted at once to tell the world that they had been at this place always, and that this was where they the future was created, and this was the right place to invest, because here , they had money.

All this should the church building signal to the city, it's citizens and the world. Therefore, they chose some of Europe's finest and most prestigeous architects, the stone masters Jørgen van Friborg and Hans Stenvinkel. Both worked for King Frederick the Second on his great building projects Kronborg Castle and Frederiksborg Castle, but the king was a bit pinched financially so the constructions were almost on hold. The two architects had also previously worked on St. Petri Church in Copenhagen, so they were familiar with Danish church traditions. The church building in Slangerup was constructed with the best and most expensive materials, and the most modern techniques was used and the architecture had to be something special. And indeed it did - the east gable, for instance, is the earliest construction in the Nordic area in the Dutch Renaissance style, the 12 mighty windows without glass paintings was also something completely new and groundbreaking. So stylistic features that pointed to wealth and future. The church tower was 36 meters high - it was to dominate the city and country and tell that in this town also the will to power was found. At the same time the church had arches, the windows had pointed arches and the outer body of the building were to follow traditional lines, hereby also telling the world that one indeed had history along. Reconstruction of the church in Slangerup also puts its mark of a number of churches in the area, as one many places - including in Gørløse Church - copied many of the groundbreaking details from Slangerup.

In principle, the current church building in Slangerup was never completed, because the construction accounts remain open. A planned ridge turret continues to be missing - similar to the Margrethe turret on Roskilde Cathedral.
Comments